Hello, fellow travelers and aspiring digital nomads! This is Francisco Pollio, software developer with Howdy.com. As someone who has embraced a nomadic lifestyle while pursuing a fulfilling career as a software engineer, I’ve gathered valuable insights on how to strike a healthy balance between work and travel. In this article, I’ll share some tips that I’ve personally found crucial and hope they assist those about to embark on this exciting journey. So, let’s dive in!
- Mindset Shift: When combining work and travel, it’s important to consciously remind yourself that you’re on a working journey. Avoid slipping into “vacation mode” by maintaining a focused and productive mindset throughout your adventures.
- Weekend Arrivals: Arriving at new destinations on weekends can be advantageous. It gives you time to settle in, explore the surroundings, and find suitable workspaces. Taking a little time to acclimate before diving into work can work wonders for your productivity.
- Travel Light: Simplify your journey by keeping your belongings to the essentials. Opt for a backpack that accommodates your laptop, a small speaker, camera, and an iPad (great as a second monitor). For clothing, a 45-liter duffle bag will suffice. Embracing minimalism not only makes traveling easier but also offers flexibility and freedom.
- Social Accommodations: Consider staying in hostels rather than private accommodations when traveling alone. Hostels provide fantastic opportunities to meet fellow travelers, fostering new connections and shared experiences. For focused work sessions, choose coworking spaces or coffee shops that strike the perfect balance between concentration and social interaction.
- Timezone Management: Plan your working hours and allocate blocks of time for local adventures. Analyze time zones and establish a schedule that allows you to make the most of each destination, balancing work commitments with exploration.
- Reliable Internet Access: Invest in a SIM card with a reliable internet connection. While Wi-Fi can be unpredictable in many locations, having a stable mobile internet connection ensures uninterrupted meetings and seamless collaboration.
- Embrace Curiosity: Adopt the mindset of a curious 10-year-old, always ready to explore and fully immerse yourself in the essence of each new place you visit. Embrace the local culture, cuisine, and attractions to make your experience truly enriching.
That’s just a glimpse into the adventurous path I’ve chosen as a digital nomad. If you have any questions or need recommendations, feel free to reach out! Remember, finding the right balance between work and travel is a continuous learning process. Embrace the freedom, stay open-minded, and let each destination inspire you on your exciting journey as a digital nomad. Safe travels!