As anyone who has worked in the tech industry knows, a full-stack developer is a valuable player on any team. This type of developer truly understands how all parts of a web app or website come together to form a functioning whole. Not only can they create and maintain the front-end and back-end functionality, but they are also expertly familiar with various platforms, making it easy to implement new technologies as needed for different projects.
On the other hand, there is a lot of controversy around the idea that full-stack developers should know about everything. Also, it is common to believe that a full-stack developer requires only technical knowledge and that coding is everything. Well, let us tell you that is not accurate.
The versatility and technical know-how make an experienced full-stack developer valuable for startups. Whether you need someone who can build your product from the ground up or help with some routine maintenance tasks, an experienced full-stack developer is someone you can count on to get the job done right.
Why Hiring a Full-Stack Developer Can Help Your Startup
Suppose you need a developer and are in the early stages of your tech startup. In that case, there are a few key reasons why a full-stack developer is an excellent choice for your business: when starting a new idea, your top priority is to get up and run as quickly and efficiently as possible. Here’s why a full-stack developer is an invaluable asset:
- You know what you want your product to do, but you must figure out how to get there. At the outset of any new venture or startup, you have a clear understanding of what you want your app to do can sometimes be complex. A full-stack developer is adept at working with multiple programming languages and platforms, allowing them to design and build the perfect app for your needs.
- You are expecting there will be changes to the product’s needs. Another reason a full-stack developer may be the best choice for your project is if there are any changes to your product’s features along the way. This may be as you bring in additional partners or investors or based on your early product launch feedback. Since these developers have expert knowledge of all aspects of software development, they can quickly adapt as needed to address changing requirements.
- Flexible fill skills gaps in your current team. These versatile developers are ideally suited to managing all aspects of software development on their own, freeing up other members of your team to focus on their areas of expertise without worrying about high-level decisions or technical details. So, when you need someone with deep knowledge across multiple disciplines and programming languages, then look no further than a full-stack developer!
- You need to move quickly toward an MVP. A full-stack developer has the necessary skills and knowledge to quickly create an MVP–often referred to as the “minimum viable product.” With all the essential tools and expertise at their disposal, full-stack developers can build an MVP quickly while ensuring that it is solid, stable, and reliable. And by opting for an MVP over other more complex but expensive options, businesses save money and resources in the early stages of growth.
These types of devs can be invaluable assets to any startup’s team looking to move quickly and efficiently through the development process.
A full-stack developer needs a wide range of technical skills to succeed. So, when hiring one for your business, it’s essential to keep a few critical technical skills in mind:
- HTML to create the basic structure for web pages, including organizing content into different sections with appropriate headings and subheadings.
- CSS is valid for adding visual elements like color and style to these pages, allowing site visitors to engage with and navigate your content easily.
- Expertise in both relational databases and database storage. In addition, you must have excellent database administration skills; this means that you can create, comprehend, and modify queries as needed.
- Library and framework tools include Backbone.js, Knockout.js, jQuery, and Ember.js.
- Back-end development abilities include designing database schemas and proficiency with server-side technologies like Apache, J2EE, and Nginx.
- Solid understanding of server-side languages like Python, Ruby, PHP, and Perl.
- Deployment abilities, meaning those skills needed to release and distribute software to end users in a production environment. This involves creating and packaging code, setting up servers and environments, and implementing continuous integration and delivery methods. Strong deployment skills allow a software engineer to ship software to consumers with little downtime and defects.
What matters when it comes to finding the right developer is whether or not they can help your startup grow in the ways you need. So, be sure to ask all the right questions during the hiring process and carefully assess their technical skills and other factors, like communication skills and creativity.
Howdy Can Help
If you’re looking to hire a full-stack developer to take your business to the next level, Howdy can be your partner of excellence! We specialize in pairing talented developers with established startups in the US, building long-term relationships between our partners and top tech talent in LATAM. With Howdy, you can quickly source, vet, and hire developers from an easy-to-use dashboard. Plus, we handle your payroll, benefits, and local procurement.
If you’re ready to hire a top-notch full-stack developer, look no further than Howdy!